I see a lot of people praticing on mats that are thin, unstable and slick. If you are new to yoga, this means that your practice will be extra challenging, and it will take longer to build somatic awareness in the body and muscle memory. Plus, when I practice on thin or slick mats I feel kind of frustrated with the experience because I keep sliding around and have less attention for my actual practice.
Manduka hands down has the monopoly on mats due to their closed-cell technology and extra grip among other features:
- Ultra-dense cushioning provides superior support, stability and joint protection.
- Closed-cell material seals out moisture and bacteria. Easy to disinfect and clean.
- Meticulously crafted in Germany. OEKO-TEX®️ certified.
- Standard Length Mat: 6mm thick; 71” x 26”; 7.5lbs
- Extra Long Mat: 6mm thick; 85” x 26”; 9.5lbs
*I am 6'0" and I practice on an 85" long mat
** this purchase is pre-order and will deliver to the Saturday Mornings Yoga at the Bank 9am - 1pm for pick up in person.